- Giảm 30% Ngày 18/8 - 19/8 Và Ủng Hộ Quỹ Vắc-Xin Chống Covid-19
- Học Trực Tuyến Lớp 6 Năm Học 2021-2022
- SUN - Lộ Trình Luyện Thi TN THPT & ĐH Năm 2022
- SUN - Giai Đoạn 1 - Luyện Thi TN THPT 2022
- Khai Giảng Lớp 9 Và Luyện Thi Vào 10 Năm Học 2021-2022
- Học Trực Tuyến Lớp 8 Năm Học 2021-2022
- Học Trực Tuyến Lớp 7 Năm Học 2021-2022
- Học Trực Tuyến Lớp 5 Năm Học 2021-2022
- Học Trực Tuyến Lớp 4 Năm Học 2021-2022
- Học Trực Tuyến Lớp 3 Năm Học 2021-2022
- Học Trực Tuyến Lớp 11 Năm Học 2021-2022
- Học Trực Tuyến Nền Tảng Lớp 12 Năm 2021-2022 (Dành Cho 2K4)
- Học trực tuyến lớp 11 đủ môn cùng Thầy Cô giỏi, nổi tiếng
- Khai giảng các khóa lớp 9 Toán - Lý - Hóa - Văn - Anh năm 2018
- Khai giảng khóa Ngữ văn 7 - xây nền vững chắc cho tương lai!
- Luyện thi vào lớp 10 môn Toán, Văn, Hóa, Anh, Lý với giáo viên giỏi và nổi tiếng
The author mentions “cuckoos and cowbirds” in paragraph 1 because they ________ .
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the questions.
Social parasitism involves one species relying on another to raise its young. Among vertebrates, the best known social parasites are such birds as cuckoos and cowbirds; the female lay eggs in a nest belonging to another species and leaves it for the host to rear.
The dulotic species of ants, however, are the supreme social parasites. Consider, for example, the unusual behavior of ants belonging to the genus Polyergus. All species of this ant have lost the ability to care for themselves. The workers do not forage for food, feed their brood or queen, or even clean their own nest. To compensate for these deficits, Polyergus has become specialized at obtaining workers from the related genus Formica to do these chores.
In a raid, several thousand Polyergus workers will travel up to 500 feet in search of a Formica nest, penetrate it, drive off the queen and her workers, capture the pupal brood. and transport it back to their nest. The captured brood is then reared by the resident Formica workers until the developing pupae emerge to add to the Formica food and give it to colony members of both species. They also remove wastes and excavate new chambers as the population increases.
The true extent of the Polyergus ants’ dependence on the Formica becomes apparent when the worker population grows too large for the existing nest. Formica scouts locate a new nesting site, return to the mixed-species colony, and recruit additional Formica nest mates. During a period that may last seven days, the Formica workers carry to the new nest all the Polyergus egas, larvae, and pupae, every Polyergus adult, and even the Polyergus queen.
Of the approximately 8,000 species of ants in the vvorld, all 5 species of Polyergus and some 200 species in other genera have evolved some degree of parasitic relationship with other ants.
- parasite (n): an animal or plant that lives on or in another animal or plant of a different type and feeds from it (động thực vật kí sinh).
- parasitism (n): a type of non-mutual relationship between organisms of different species where one organism, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host (sự kí sinh).
- vertebrate (n): an animal that has a spine (động vật có xương sống).
- dulotic (adj): of or about a practice of some ants, in which one species forces members of a different species to do the work of the colony
- genus (n - plural genera): a group of animals or plants, more closely related than a family, but less similar than a species (giống, loại).
- brood (n): a group of young animals all born at the same time (lứa, đoàn. bầy).
- pupal (adj): of or about an insect in the stage of development which happens before it is completely developed (thuộc con nhộng).
Câu 23265: The author mentions “cuckoos and cowbirds” in paragraph 1 because they ________ .
A. share their nests with each other
B. are closely related species
C. aise the young of their birds
D. are social parasites